Congratulations! You’re moved into your new home and everything’s there…..including quite the collection of boxes. It can be a lot and if you don’t keep with it you might still have packed boxes 2 years from now…maybe you don’t actually need those? So what’s the best way to conquer your unpacking?
- Clean. Before you start unpacking take advantage of the empty spaces to do any cleaning or repainting you want to get accomplished. This way you won’t have to move anything more than necessary. If you have access to your new home prior to your move in date you can also use that time to clean everything before you move in.
- First Day Box. When packing you’ll want to make sure to pack a box or so with anything you’ll need the night of the move or first thing the next morning. These are items such as bedding, bathroom necessities, etc. Make sure to label them properly so they’re easy to find; after all, you pack first day boxes so you don’t have to unpack everything the first day/night.
- Have a plan. Start by making sure that all boxes are placed in their appropriate rooms. Choose the order in which you’ll unpack the rooms based on their priority levels. Most often the bathrooms, kitchen, master bedroom or kids bedroom(s) will be on the top of the list. You may even be able to let your kids unpack and organize their own rooms once the furniture has been arranged. Work on one room at a time; if you unpack all boxes for that room at the same time then it will be easier to organize everything the way you want it to be. You’d hate to organize half the kitchen, unpack some more boxes, and realize that you need to redo it; that would just be more work than is needed.
- Sort through…again. This is also a good opportunity to go through your belongings again and see if there’s anything you don’t want/need in your new home and are willing to donate or sell now. Now that you’re in your new home and getting it set up you might be wanting to part with more items than originally planned.
- Keep Motivated. It’s best to start while you’re still on the moving kick. The best way to keep yourself motivated is to keep it fun. Having some music playing in the background will help keep your energy and spirits high! You can also enlist the help of friends/family to help you unpack, offer some drinks and/or food and I’m sure you can find somebody!
If you’re still in the planning phase of your move then give Parma Movers, Inc. a call to schedule your free in-home survey today!
216.741.4747 OR email@example.com
Author: Samantha Barkley